Requirements on On Track Machines OTMs
Delayed introduction of Swedish railway legislation
From 31 October 2020, new rules apply for final vehicle authorisation according to EU Regulation (EU) 2018/545 (PAVA). Temporary authorisations for vehicles and authorisations of infrastructure are regulated by the Railways Act (2004: 519). Associated Swedish railway legislation according to the fourth railway package is delayed and is expected to enter into force first of June 2022.
On Track Machines shall be authorised by the Swedish Transport Agency for transport mode on tracks. Our authorisation does normally not cover these machines in working mode. This is the responsibility of the employer, which is supervised by the Swedish Working Safety Authority.
OTMs which are running in higher speed than 20 km/h needs an authorisations by the Swedish Transport Agency. The applicant may chose the process according to
national rules or according to the EU process "The new approach". The later means that the OTM shall fulfill the requirements according to TSI/Locomotives and Passenger units and to other relevant TSIs. The requirements in the TSIs shall be assessed by notified body/ies. See link further down on this page. If the applicant choose to use process according to national rules, the requirements shall be assessed by independent assessor/s. The independent assessor/s shall be authorized by the Swedish Transport Agency."
For shunters and historic vehicles the national process for OTMs should be followed for the authorisation. Some standard are however only applicable for OTMs e.g. EN 14033-1. For road-rail machines the requirements according to standard EN 15746 may be used.
In case of the national process new OTMs shall normally fulfill the following TSI for the authorisation:
In case of an upgrading or renewal of an OTM the Swedish Transport Agency shall decide which functions have to be assessed for the new authorisation.
The applicant may choose to apply the following TSIs for the authorisation of the OTM:
- TSI Locomotives and passenger rolling stock, Commission regulation (EU) no. 1302/2014. Link to page Locomotives and Passenger units.
- TSI Control-command and signalling (2012/88/EU, amended by 2012/696/EU and 2015/14/EU). This TSI shall be applied for vehicles with the train protection system ETCS. Link to page on On board CCS.
"Imported" OTMs with an authorisation from another EU+ country (EU+NO+CH)has to be authorised for operations on tracks in Sweden. the Swedish Transport Agency applies cross acceptance by these additional authorisations. This means that we don't assess A-points which was assessed by the first authorisation of the vehicle.
When application for authorisation of a vehicle (or a series of vehicles) the applicant shall engage one or more notified bodies for assessment of the applied TSIs. These notified bodies shall assess the vehicle and issue a certificate of compliance to the TSI(-s). The applicant should also send an application to the Swedish Transport Agency at the start of the process to get information on the applicable national requirements for the authorisation. In case of an upgrading or renewal the Swedish Transport Agency shall decide which functions have to be assessed for the new authorisation.
National requirements, open points and specific cases
TSI-compliant OTMs shall fulfil the TSI-requirements and national requirements regarding open points and specific cases in the relevant TSIs. The OTMs which do not apply TSI Locomotives and passenger units shall fulfil all relevant national requirements.
There are only general requirements set in the Swedish regulations on rail vehicles. The Swedish Transport Agency has issued guidelines with accepted technical solutions for different functions of a vehicle to facilitate for the applicant. Our guidelines sets accepted technical solutions for authorisation of OTMs without pantograph.
Guide lines for OTMs
The following guidelines states accepted technical solutions for authorisation of an OTM without pantograph (some are only available in Swedish):
- The Swedish Transport Agency guide: Assessment of railway vehicles interaction with Swedish railway infrastructure and other functions.When applying for approval of the independent reviewer you may use the form TSJ7023 Self declaration for independent assessor.
- The Swedish Transport Agency guide: Guideline for issuing report for assessment of railway vehicles interaction with Swedish railway infrastructure, link in Swedish.
- TDOK 2015.0143: Vehicle gauges. Requirement for reference contours of vehicles (BVS 1586.22) link in Swedish.
- TDOK 2014.0690: Detectors Requirements for hot axle box and hot wheel thread detection (BVS 1592.0201), link in Swedish. There are some specific cases for Sweden in the TSI link.
- TDOK 2014.0776: Requirement for train detection by track circuits (BVS 544.14002), link in Swedish.
- The Swedish Transport Administration: Study on risk of collision in point switches due to distance between buffer end and first axle of train in combination with short distance between insulated joint and fouling point, link in Swedish.
- The Swedish Transport Agency guide: Guideline for driving cab, driver's manuals and safety equipment in locomotives and multiple units, link in Swedish. This guideline is valid for vehicles with drivers cab. It sets a requirement that there shall be manuals in the driver's language in the cab. There shall also be maintenance instructions in the user's language.
- The Swedish Transport Agency guide: Guideline for authorisation of locomotives with a remote control function installed, link in Swedish.
To achieve an authorisation without operational restrictions the OTM shall be designed for operation in Nordic winter conditions. The applicant shall demonstrate the safety and reliability for operation in severe winter conditions. Hence the Swedish Transport Agency require experience operation to issue an "permanent" authorisation without operational restrictions."
To operate a rail vehicle on the Öresund link the vehicle has to be authorised both in Sweden and Denmark.
Cross acceptance of "imported" vehicles
The national requirements are valid for additional authorisations of vehicles with
an authorisation in another EU+-state. The Swedish Transport Agency applies cross acceptance by additional authorisation, which means we accept A-classified functions without further assessment of the these functions of an OTM.
- See extract from ERA database RDD for national reference document for SE.
Requirements for installation of train protection and train radio systems
New railway vehicles with a driving cab shall normally have the train protection system ETCS-STM installed. See requirement on the page "Requirements on onboard Command Control and Signalling. OTMs and shunter may be authorised without a train protection system, in these cases we will set operational restrictions in the authorisation.
All vehicles with a drivers cab shall have a GSM-R train radio installed. From 1 July 2016 this train radio has to be protected from other radio frequencies.